Amazingly easy to make, this delicious drink is made from dried coconut. I pour it over cereal and fresh fruit, and add it to a number of curries and soups.
Yield: About 1 ¼ cups
- 1 ½ cups hot filtered water*
- 1 cup dried shredded coconut (unsweetened)
* If using tap water, heat it in a pot on the stove. Do not use hot water directly from the tap.
- Place the coconut and I cup of the water in a blender, and blend for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Line a colander with 4 layers of damp cheesecloth and place over a bowl. (Wetting the cloth after it is placed in the colander will prevent it from slipping during the next step.
- Pour the blended coconut mixture in the colander. Gather up the ends of the cheesecloth and twist firmly around the coconut. Press the cloth against the colander while continuing to twist it and extract as much milk as possible into the bowl below. (When you are finished, there should be just about ⅓ cup of coconut pulp left.)
- Refrigerate the milk in a covered bottle or jar up to three days, or freeze up to three months. The milk will separate upon standing, so shake before using.